SERVICE PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Notre Dame AmeriCorps - Philadelphia helps support various programs and schools in the greater Philadelphia area. This program, started by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, seeks to build community among our members, as well as the people with whom we work by reaching out across culture and class. We are committed to helping people help themselves. Our goal is to promote and encourage education, community empowerment, leadership development and multicultural harmony. NDA creates holistic educational programs for at-risk children and adults in economically disadvantaged communities. Members serve in different non-profits, schools, or after school programs throughout the city of Philadelphia. If you are interested in an opportunity to serve with us, please fill out the online application.
For more information about service sites in Philadelphia, please visit: http://www.ndmva.org/serve/americorps/philadelphia-pennsylvania/ or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!
CURRENT SERVICE SITES:
ST. EDMOND'S HOME FOR CHILDREN: St. Edmond's Home for Children provides an exceptional holistic outcome-oriented plan of care for youth and adults with intellectual and physical disabilities. They offer a broad spectrum of medical nursing and therapeutic services to assist youth and adults to successfully navigate mental, psychological, and physical challenges amidst both on and off campus activities and interactions.
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Description: The Direct Support Professional will support and serve by assisting and facilitating with Health, Safety, and Recreational activities:
- Assist in development, planning, and implementation of educational, vocational, or recreational activities for youth, adults, or children residing at facility.
- Aid staff in conducting physical exercise, occupational arts and crafts, and recreational games.
- Coordinate and attend community outings with residents to ensure their safety and return.
- Converse with residents to reinforce positive behaviors and promote social interaction.
Health + Safety:
- Assist with the daily living tasks (bathing, grooming, and dressing) to promote good self-care.
- Develop strategies to ensure quality of service in a safe and stimulating environment.
- Attend to routine health care needs of residents under supervision of medical personnel.
- Observe and document residents' behavior to facilitate assessment of treatment goals.
NATIVITY PREPARATORY SCHOOL: Nativity Preparatory School of Wilmington is a tuition-free Catholic middle school for boys. Guided by the example of Saint Francis de Sales, it strives to educate students, regardless of faith, to maximize their God given potential. Nativity empowers them to earn acceptance and achieve success in a college preparatory school through a rigorous holistic education.
Location: Wilmington, DE
Job Description: The Teaching Assistant at Nativity Prep will:
- Assist teachers with both academic and recreational activities in and out of the classroom
- Help facilitate the Summer School Program
THE LUTHERAN SETTLEMENT HOUSE: Established in 1902, Lutheran Settlement House (LSH) is a non-profit, community-based organization committed to serving children, adults, and families living in Philadelphia. Over the past century, the programs and services offered by LSH have changed in response to the evolving needs of the community. However, the core mission of Lutheran Settlement House — “to empower individuals, families, and communities to achieve and maintain self-sufficiency through an integrated program of social, educational, and advocacy services” — has remained constant.
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Description: The Education Associate will support LSH’s education programming for families experiencing homelessness, survivors of domestic violence, and seniors. Further responsibilities include:
- Providing individual job coaching, including helping clients to prepare a resume,
practice interviewing, and search for jobs and training programs online.
- Support technology workshops for seniors, including basic computer and
- Support group education programming, such as financial literacy workshops.
- Assist our shelter’s staff to provide children and youth with afterschool and summer programming; including tutoring, sports and games, field trips, and arts programming.
- Recruit and support volunteer individuals and groups to add new resources to our education programming.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance
Regular training, team support, bi-weekly team meetings
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99